Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Story of the Breezy Balloon Tragedy


While loading groceries into our van, the wind stole the sacred green balloon the kids have been sharing all week. It was across the parking lot before I could figure out why they were both screaming and pointing hysterically. I told the kids I was afraid it was gone. Now, this is a large shopping center strip/mall and the lot is huge, then connecting to several other lots etc... As we were waiting at the light to turn the kids again raised the alarm as our green balloon wafted on the wind across our view in front of us. I couldn't believe it hadn't popped yet, but surely, I thought, it wouldn't make it across Hickman! (a 4 lane, 55mph highly traffic laden rd) Yes, it did, manage what no human could have. So, instead of turning, I went across to the other side of Hickman to chase down the sacred balloon and quiet the heartbreaking mutterings of 2 extremely tired toddlers in the back. I pulled to the side st, put on the hazard lights, and opened the door just as the balloon flitted across the street in front of the van. The moment my foot hit the pavement, the balloon vanished with a pop! I carried the sad little piece of green rubber back to the van and handed it to a distraught Kendra. They both cried all the way home from the market...just like the little piggies. It is a sad day. True story.

No comments: