Thursday, May 24, 2012

Adventures in Cloth Diapering - getting ready for little brother

Let's talk about diapers.

Not too long ago I became aware of the different options that your mother and grandmother probably didn't even dream of!  I was really hesitant, though, because I didn't want to set myself up for a lot of stress with a new baby and a toddler, and, quite honestly, I want nothing to do with putting my hands in the toilet or rinsing poo with my bare hands (non-BF poo that is).  I thought, initially, I would wait until little brother came and re-visit the issue.  Just to be extra sure though, I thought I would get my research all out of the way first...then when the time came, I would know what I was going to try.

One thing led to another and I wound up getting a few diapers to try out just because they were on ebay for a GREAT price.  I washed them, folded them, and sat admiring them as I searched for a better deal on paper diapers for Kendra as her case from Amazon Mom was almost gone.  Then I had a lightbulb moment...why not try them out on Kendra and see how they do?  I mean, if I'm worried about stress, this would be a perfectly non-stressful way to begin, and duh, they are sitting there under my nose!  (Sometimes I do admire my common sense approach to life...hehehe)  And so we began...and we have not gone back!  I still have part of that paper diaper case left in her closet too - it is great!

I'm going to split this post into sections and spread them out because there is a lot of information I think you might want to know if you are a mommy looking into this option.  Today is the Introduction.

And if you are not looking into this option, the next post, the history of diapering in the US might change your mind!  If not, that's ok too.  I think that it was the turning point for me though...even if you don't do the cloth diapers, you might like the info on infant potty training...wait till ya hear this stuff!

Introduction
A Brief History of Diapering in the US  (disposable wasn't always an option you know!)
My research - Types, Cost, etc...
What I do
Making your own


No comments: